Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chippewa Moraine 50K

The Chippewa Moraine 50K: 10 LPTR’s take Chetek by Storm
Marty's Collective Race Report...

On a rainy Friday night, 9 LPTR folks headed up to Chetek Wisconsin to run the Chippewa Moraine 50K Trail Race. Joel added a 10th as a welcome late edition to the gang. We had a little of everything going, from the multi-race veterans Brad, Julie, and Angela, to the speedster Joel, to the first timer Jose, to the prepping for Ice Age 50 milers Marcel, Steve, me, and Cobbie, prepping for Kettle 100, and finally Troy M to round out the field.
Below, find collective race reports except Jose’s. Being a first timer, I wanted to give him his own air time to tell his story, so look for that soon.

Place  AG group

Joel Lammers

Brad Birkholz

Julie Treder

Marcel Uttech

Marty Kanter-Cronin

Steve Poulter

Jose Villegas

Cobbie Behrend

Angela Barbera

Troy Malinowski

Marcel “Briar Patch” Uttech  (6:03:38)
Ah, the Chippewa 50k…this was a special race for me this year because it marked my one year anniversary of running ultras…it all started with a good hurting handed down from this race last year. I was glad to return this year and shave off 30 min, but most importantly I was glad to return with even more running friends to share it with. It was great spending some time on those awesome trails with other LPTR’s, especially running into Jose a couple of times as he endured his first ultra…seems like it was only yesterday when he called me out of the blue to join us running out at Lapham Peak…for a painful 7! Now he sits with an ultra under his belt and another one on the horizon…my how time flies. Jeff Allen did an awesome job again with the race, and it is no wonder that this race continues to grow…
My race went well, with some mild cramping coming on around mile 25 I managed to still keep it moving forward pretty well. I had wanted to run up the hill at the end like “The Blur” Egnarski did last year, but just couldn’t do it…not happening- maybe next year. The ride both up and down were a lot of fun considering the great company as the race recaps were brought up and laughed upon…memories to carry me into the next race, and remind me why I continue to love running ultras. Even as I type, the fading pain in my legs brings a smile.

“Shoeless” Joel Lammers, (4:37:57, 9th overall 1st AG)
It was a last minute decision to run based the beautiful weather forecast and the encouragement of fellow LPTRs.  I was going to be in the area anyway (Winona, MN) so I talked my brother, who was traveling with me, into driving over to the CM50K.  The weather man was wrong and the day turned out to be a cool and humid spring day.  My lungs were still burning from the severe gas that my brother had in the hotel room the night before.   The course was in pretty good shape considering all the rain we had the night before with some shoe sucking mud holes.   I ran much of the first ½ of the race with Brad.  He was running a nice pace and only took 2 face plants.   At the ½ way point he told me to go ahead because he had a couple of hot chicks at the aid station who were feeding him grapes and boiled potatoes.   I got to see the infamous “Fat Rabbit” at the 2nd and 4th aid station. A true ultramarathoning legend.   I ran a pretty consistent race picking off about 5 people between miles 16 and 19.  After that I didn’t see another runner for the last 12 miles. It was a beautiful course that included lakes, hills, valleys, streams and of course Angela and Julie.  A 50K that I would definitely recommend. 
Steve “Freight Train” Poulter (PR of 6:11:41)
My plans going into Chippewa 50K were to make it my last big build up run for my first attempt at a 50 miler at Ice Age in May.  After a great road trip to Chetek and lining up for the start, Jose and I hung out for most of the first 9 miles holding a good 11 min/mile pace.  It just felt great, and the course was good trail, easy to cruise on. 
Soon after the mile 9 aid station the course fell apart with large spans of mud pits lined on both sides with briars, it was mud or blood for a few miles.  Jose and I were surprised around mile 12 when Marcel came running up behind us after a pit stop, we ran for about a half mile and it was great to catch up on how his race was going.  It wasn’t long before Marcel took off and Jose and I stretched out again.  From there I started seeing the LPTR gang heading back to the finish, Joel, Brad, Julie, and Marty.  I ran into the turn around aid station and found Marcel finishing up for his return trek, Jose rolled in as I rolled out.  I made quick work out of all aid stations the whole day, I worked hard to catch up and pass those that were close behind; I wasn’t going to camp out at the aid station and have to repeat that work again.
I pushed on, and around mile 24 or so I saw Marty on the horizon, I caught up and we ran together for a while, even got to witness some fine acrobatics by Marty when he caught a root.  Luckily he was ok, I wanted to bolt, and I took off again.  I pushed to the point that I couldn’t run much anymore, it was run or hurl.  Closing in on the 29 mile mark I looked back and saw Marty coming up the trail.  I stepped off to let him by, but he wouldn’t have any of it.  He wanted to hang with me and that was cool, I needed some encouragement and we walked/ran for a while. 
Marty moved on around the 30 mile mark and I ran on to the final climb.  This lung sucking, leg draining climb was all I had, hands on knees.  I turned and ran through the finish, 6:11.  It was great to finish and knock over 33 minutes off my PR.  It was a great weekend and great race with the LPTR crew.

Cobbie “OOoooh Yeah” Behrend (PR of 6:56:38)
Usually when I run a race I start in the back, and stay pretty conservative.  For whatever reason, that wasn't the order of the day.  I started out sore, and kept things slow for the first 6 miles, but then didn't keep it there. Perhaps in hind sight I should have.  On the flip side it gave me some experience of struggling in the middle of a race, which I've never had.  Miles 7-20 were a breeze, but then I lost all energy.  I could have used a gel or two or three, but wasn't prepared in that department.  There were three miles of struggling (2 being hiking pace), trying different things, some grossness involving a tree, leaves, and gloves that were abandoned (Joy asked: why didn't you just wash them if it was so wet out there? Yeah... no).  Then things perked up, with 4 miles at a slightly better than walking pace.  The last 3.5 miles were smooth, with each one being faster than the previous ... up to the final hill, which, unlike my new hero Jose Villegas, I didn't run.  Jose killed it! 

Marty “The Driver” KC (6:08:33)
Race day wasn’t shaping up too well, as it had rained steadily all Friday and through Saturday morning,  The rain stopped 5 minutes before race start and left us all with near perfect running weather (and a slightly muddy course):  40’s and cloudy. The course was dirt single track through the beautiful Chippewa Moraine, and was a great surface with little rock and root to dodge.  Still, on the return of the out and back course I managed to take a tumble (my first ever) and knot up my hamstring in the process. No harm, done, I soldiered on as I was using this as my last long training run before the Ice Age 50. I think Marcel and I ran about 2/3 of this race together, and I ran the last 6 miles or so with Steve. We all landed about the same time at around 6 hours.  Great time, and my favorite memories are: 1)  Our motel room was so small my rommie Steve had to sleep with his feet in the fridge and our bathroom was so small you sit on the turlet, brush your teeth and shower at the same time;  2) Pre-race dinner Cobbie making Julie laugh so hard I thought we’d need a mop to clean up after her; 3) Hearing Brad tell the story of how Joel lost BOTH shoes, simultaneously, in one of the many mud pits during the race. 4) Seeing Jose finish his first ultra, Steve and Cobbie getting PR’s, and hanging with a whole bunch of LPTR folks!  Ah, good times!

Angela “Who Needs Training?” Barbera (7:06:29)
Great race, good friends, perfect weather, beautiful trail. Chippewa 50k is always a great party and this year was no exception. Going into the race under trained I was not sure what to expect from the day – but was satisfied with my finish. Great to see so many LPTR runners there. Everyone looked so strong on their way back. Congrats to all!

Troy “The Rear View “Malenowski (7:50:34)
The Chippewa 50K was a cool and damp morning. I was wandering back and forth on proper wear. At the last minute, I walked to the line, listening to the last race announcements and seeing the fellow LPTRs ready and in race mode. “WOW, Lammers dared to venture up!!!” The start began with a steep downhill, we rolled at a fast pace, as fast as our legs and openings would allow. As we neared the half mile mark, I came up on Julie and we discussed the slow snail’s pace Joel was setting.  As we continued to gain on Joel, He gave me a “runner’s High Five” and said, “settle back as we don’t need to lose any LPTRs up here …… I’m from Lake Country, so I will take the lead; you take the rear and watch for our well-being”.
So, I settled back and allowed our LPTR team members to advance. The team was running strong, Julie quickly passed again, Brad zipped by unnoticed, Marcel and Marty fell into their grooves, and Steve showed no slowing as he conquered the hills with Jose following with great strength. And at mile 9, Cobbie made sure to rush past me at the Aid Station. 
After going through the field and onto the downhill dirt road, we reentered the single track raspberry bush lined trails. While running, I looked back to see a “Running Tour” being conducted with about 7 or 8 runners. I could hear the tour guide explaining the  Ice Age Trails,  and talking with the tour members ……. And then I realized the Tour Guide was Angela! I was wondering if the Cabin Industry was down in this economy, until she said all her tour profits were going to Brad’s Ultra – Lonely Life (BULL) of trail running and races.
 As I approached the thirteen mile mark, I was able to insure all of the team was safely accounted for as one by one each ran past in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, Angela lost her running tour group when the Barefooted Mud Stomp portion started.
 After the turn around, I ran the next six miles without seeing a soul, I was sure I was on course as the 130+ footprints made the course easy to follow in the wet dirt, grass and mud. But I was experiencing a “Lonely Life” of an hour. At the Mile 22 aid station. Some runners caught up and we quickly proceeded.  One runner being “Shelly”, the 2011 runner to beat.
 At Mile 25, I was singing the theme song to the “Munsters” as my shoes felt like Herman’s boots.
 I got my heavy feet to the Nature Center again, but on the REAR SIDE with 2 miles to go. I ran as best possible…. And the worst part …… For the last mile EVERYONE can see you walking, running and crawling. As I was a half mile from the finish, I heard a ROAR “Run Troy, RUN” …. I thought “The entire LPTR team is safe and back, and cheering me on for the great “Safety” work I did. I give it my all, finishing the front field at an 8:17 pace …. Roars continuing as some of my family meet me half way down the starting / finishing hill” and my son grabbed my hand and ran the last hundred yards with me.
 Looking forward to meeting all the LPTRs, thanking them for the cheers, having a beer and reporting all were accounted for. I looked around and saw no one, I found out the “Shelly” beat me by minutes, after running the hill twice because there were 4 shirts left still. I was then told that “your LPTR friends left after the beer was gone”
 GOOD RACE ALL! And thank you Cobbie for letting Julie know the team had finished and was leaving. Mission accomplished and most importantly, SAFELY!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anyone know where i could possibly find the elevation changes along the Chippewa 50k??