Friday, August 3, 2012

Dances With Dirt Races, Version 2012

Race Report  Compiled by LPTRunner Marty Kanter-Cronin...


Every year the Dances With Dirt races attract many LPTR entrants with it’s beautiful location, and it’s placement in the race calendar in July makes it an ideal mid-summer race. This year was no different with a contingency of 23 LPTRunners running four different distances from the 1/2 Marathon to the 50 Mile! So I asked all of them four questions, and below you can find their combined answers. One of questions specifically had to do with course changes put in place late due to congestion issues on the bluffs, which made the race quite different from pervious years. Congrats to all the AG and overall placements, and everyone who participated!



Logan P, 50K:

1) How did the race go for you?
The race went extremely well for me! Weird even everything went perfect which seems to never happen. Couldn't have asked for a better day

2) What did you think of the course changes?
) I was actually pretty disappointed with the course change, yes to me the course was faster but who cares about speed. The views in the past years of being on top of devils lake were truly missed by me. I also missed the stairs going up the bluffs, always the most painful but the best remembered. 

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Was probably passing Bruce!  Its probably going to be the only time I am ever going to so I gotta take advantage off it!


Dave F, 1/2 Marathon:

1) How did the race go for you?
The race went much better than last year. Last year I walked the last 4 miles due to heat exhaustion and dislocated metatarsals in my left foot. This year I was able to finish the whole race without walking.

2) What did you think of the course changes?
I think that it was not an issue for the half marathon distance.

3) Favorite memory of the day?
This year I was able to run a bit with some of the marathon and 50k runners. Listening to their experiences of the early miles in their race was enjoyable. I also came across several of the LPTR runners running in the opposite direction. Everyone still looked happy and still had a positive attitude.

4) Other thoughts?
 In 2011, I got caught in the lead pack (behind Bruce) and went out way too fast. The first climb at that fast pace nearly did me in. The rest of my race was affected by that pace and I ended up walking the last 4 miles with heat exhaustion and a wounded foot. This year I may have gone out a bit too slow due to the fear of over exertions and having to walk. This year I got stuck behind a slow moving group on the first climb and lost a good amount of time. I was also stopped at a road crossing while the marshal allowed a long train of cars to pass by in both directions. I believe that I lost several minutes at that crossing. I would have liked to finish in under 2 hours and come away from the race knowing that I gave it my best effort. My goal time was 1:45. I guess there is always next year unless I get crazy and run the 50k. I still don't know about running a 50k in the middle of July in 90+ degree weather. I may need to be convinced.


Jennifer M, 50 Miler:

1) How did the race go for you?
The race kicked my butt.  The heat coupled with stomach problems and the little food intake created a daze which I ran in for over half the day.  I am just glad I finished the 50 miler and didn't drop to the 50K.  My crew made all the difference.

2) What did you think of the course changes?
This was my first run at DWD Devil's Lake.  The course is beautiful.  It is a very runnable trail with long assents/descents.  The view from the bluffs was amazing.  I will definitely have to try the race again. Great trail!

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Throwing up at mile 42 - best I felt all day.  The next 4 miles were awesome.


Angela B, 50K:

3) Favorite memory of the day?
This is the first year I have run this race. Soooooo unfortunately not much to add - but you do get a couple of my favorite moments :) Hoping that Joe. girls and POPSICLES would still be at Steinke Basin and they were. A cherry Popsicle and my first ice of the day. OUTSTANDING!!! Made the last 6 miles zoom by. It is always fun to see so many friends before and after the race!! Makes the local races even better.


Bruce U, 50K:

1) How did the race go for you?
Was sweating way too much in the high humidity.  My shoes were soaked by mile 6.  Ran out of water twice.  The last 10 miles sucked as I could no longer run up hills.  I could fly on the down hills and flats but even had to walk the slight grade on the path in the last 1/4 mile where I was passed by 2 runners (including Logan).

2) What did you think of the course changes?
Seemed easier since they eliminated the 2 stair climbs up the bluffs (but replaced them with 2 very long inclines).

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Seeing 2 dozen LPTRs at the race and good beer at the finish line.

4) Other thoughts?
They mowed most of the trail this year to eliminate the wild parsnip although I think I got a spot on my shin. Oh and good beer at the finish.


Jeff D, 50K:
1) How did the race go for you?
It went well until it didn't...thanks for finish lines.

2) What did you think of the course changes?
First time on course...really wanted to run up both bluffs. I expected steeper climbs & slightly more elevation.

3) Favorite memory of the day?
The end. 

4) Other thoughts?
I ran out of miles to race but never ran out of beer!


Daniel H, The Marathon

1) How did the race go for you?
Excellent! Tweaked my foot 2 miles in and was throbbing quite a bit by mile 10, but some kind soul provided me with some ibuprofen on the trail (thanks again if you're out there!) and it took the edge off.

2) What did you think of the course changes?
There were course changes??  First time out there...

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Ran with one of my former high school athletes who just completed her 7th marathon in her personal one marathon/month challenge, which included a 50k we did together in Ohio back in January to kick it all off, which was unfortunately the same day the Packers got there butts kicked in the playoffs! Was fun pacing with her until... I thought I heard somebody say 2.2 miles to the finish so I looked at my watch and said hey, we can make 4:30!! so I took off... duh, we were at Road Kill, 4.2 miles!! Dumb move on my part and after a blistering pace for about 3 miles, I knew that last mile was not going to feel good! Sorry Tricia!!


Jose V, 50K:

1) How did the race go for you?
The race was good, first time running the 50k run!  So, I have nothing to compare it too!  Did the half last year!

2) What did you think of the course changes?
The course change it was O.K., like always to many races going on at once!  Use to it, by now!

3) Favorite memory of the day?
My favorite time is when I had to jump over a big rock to stretch the muscles and Julie went around, I had a burger will I was up there!  Julie laughed for miles, cause she missed out! Next year I'll do the half probably!


Tom S, 1/2 Marathon:

1) How did the race go for you?
Fast! Fun! Loved the half marathon - it allowed me to kick the speed up a notch or two from the longer runs.

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Cheering on all the 50k finishers from LPTR, as well as other finishers. Especially the couple that was quite overweight but crossed the line hand in hand, good for them!!

4) Other thoughts?
Always fun to race along with fellow LPTR members, and have a beer afterwords and chat about how the race went.


Chris D, 50K:

1) How did the race go for you?
My race went really well.  No falls, was able to run all of the flat, downhills and even some hills.  Met some really nice people out on the trails and spread the word on the Lapham Peak Trail Runners group.  Hopefully we'll have some new recruits soon!

2) What did you think of the course changes?
I wish they wouldn't have removed the extra bluff section that was there 2 years ago., that grass section sucked!  Barely wide enough for one runner, let alone people passing each other.  Maybe if enough of us write the race director they will change it back?

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Ran a few miles with Jose, Sam and Julie, they cracked me up during a stretch where I wasn't feeling the best.  Also, hanging out with Logan, Jeff Dahlman and his girlfriend and Jeff Porter the night before the race.


Jeff P, First 50K:

 1) How did the race go for you?
Started well on the first loop, then I got zapped by a couple hornets on my neck and hand!  As I’m thinking, oh that hurts, hope I not allergic, etc, my mind drifts from where I’m walking and I almost do a face plant J; from then on the race went really well until mile 23 as I approached the “uphill” at bug pit after the out and back.  I pretty much “bonked” and walked the entire way up the hill.  After that I regained my energy (albeit, it was very tough) and finished on a steady pace.  I’m so glad the last two miles or so were basically all downhill! 

2) What did you think of the course changes?
First time running.

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Well probably the hornet stings on my neck.

4) Other thoughts?
Probably should try doing more than 13 or 14 miles as my longest training runs in the future for 50k’s. Very thankful for the 3 guys that I stayed with at the lodge; especially being able to pick Bruce’s brain a bit and gleam from his experience!


Matt B, 50 Mile:

1) How did the race go for you?
The race went very well.  It was humid but the electrolytes were on and it was not too hot for me.  I was able to improve on last years time by about 45 minutes (some of that may have been due to the course changes as well).

2) What did you think of the course changes?
I liked the re-routes as I did not run into the tons of hikers on the bluffs.  I also felt the climbs were longer and a bit less steep.  Running the single-track down into the 'bug-pit" aid station was also a lot of fun.

3) Favorite memory of the day?
I have great memories of hiking with my dad at Devil's lake as a kid.  It was cool to see places that we camped and run the same trails.  The woods were always my favorite place to be as a kid.  Sam complaining that he had swamp ass by mile 2 brought a little comedic relief.  It also made me think if it is this humid, I really better pay attention to my electrolytes since I had a coat of slimy sweat on my arms already at that point :)

4) Other thoughts?
Next year I will make a deal with a faster 50 mile runner or a 50k runner to save me a Portabella burger at the end.  Curse my skinny legs I could not get there fast enough!    Logan.......maybe you could help me out next year? :)


Nicholas W, 1/2 Marathon:

1) How did the race go for you?
Race went good, time was slow but course was tough and BEAUTIFUL!  As an Ultrarunner running with handhelds is no issue to the spacing of aid was perfect!

2) What did you think of the course changes?
They were brutal but they made the race that much better.  If people want an easy race they should stick to the pavement.

3) Favorite memory of the day? 
Seeing one of the race leaders for the 1/2 leave the course to meditate on the rocks by the bluffs while taking in the views, then come screaming back into the race!

4) Other thoughts?
I love the 5  place AG awards, as well as the after party, a real family event, and fun for all.  the Low key camping the night before is awesome as well a real running community builder!
Mel:


Melinda P, 1/2 Marathon:

1) How did the race go for you?
The half marathon is a fun distance to run at DWD with the challenging bluff and 500 runners all trying to run a single track. There were five wonderful LPTRs who ran this distance. One was Tom Schiessl who caught up with me within the first mile.  I thought he was going to pass me. I just ran my best and he stayed right behind me, until I heard this thud. It was Tom and he used his ninja skills to pop right back up. With two miles to go, Tom shared how when he had caught up with me at the beginning of the race, he thought he started out too fast. The last portion of the race was running down the bluff and we sure passed a good amount of runners. Tom had “crushed his goal”…his words! Little did Tom know, he also kept me going since he was right behind me, and I secretly didn’t want him to pass! As I was his motivator to keep him running hills, he was my motivator to keep running hard!


Marty KC, 50K:

1) How did the race go for you?
I knocked almost an hour from my time two years ago! Experience, some changes in the way I hydrate and eat made a big difference. I was seriously undertrained for this, but two years of Ultra experience counts for a lot. I think the more you know, the less you need. It was hot, but then again it it’s ALWAYS hot in July at Devil’s Lake.

2) What did you think of the course changes?
In some ways, the course changes made the race disappointing. I really liked running the bluffs. I understand the race organizers had to make some changes because of trail congestion with normal park visitors. It was really a different race than in years past. On it’s own merits, it was still a tough and beautiful course.

3) Favorite memory of the day?
Finishing along side Marcel. We ran the last four miles together, and I probably ran about 10 minutes faster because Marcel and I pushed each other. The last down hill in Parfrey’s Glen we just cooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment